• If you are citizen of an European Union member nation, you may not use this service unless you are at least 16 years old.

  • Stop wasting time looking for files and revisions. Connect your Gmail, DriveDropbox, and Slack accounts and in less than 2 minutes, Dokkio will automatically organize all your file attachments. Learn more and claim your free account.

View
 

Writing a conclusion

Page history last edited by Laura Jacoby 8 years, 5 months ago

Writing a Conclusion

Read the two conclusions below. Decide which conclusion you think is the best. Then, write a couple of sentences for each about what you think is good or bad about it.

Conclusion #1: We have been learning about making mummies and are using the cucumber to observe the process of mummification. We set up a control cucumber and then changed one variable. Our group’s variable was to remove all of the air from around the cucumber. We thought that it might make it more like the inside of a tomb, where there might not be a lot of air. The color of our cucumber changed from the original color, dark green, to a multi-color. It smelled a bit like burnt bread at the end of our experiment. The cucumber also got a lot more delicate, the texture got bumpy and fragile and the sand and natron stuck together. Our mummification index was 75 % and the mummification index of the control was 85%. Our mummy did not dry out as much as the control. We think that in order to make a good mummy there must be air and because we removed the air our mummy was not as good as the control. The group that added the extra natron had a mummification index of 89%, which showed that natron might be more important in mummification than the amount of air. Next time we might try to make more air move over the cucumber and see if that would help to make a better mummy with a higher mummification index.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Conclusion #2: The variable our group used was to remove all of the air from around the cucumber. We thought that this would be a cool thing to do and we wanted to do it. The color of our cucumber changed color from the beginning of the experiment to the end. The cucumber also became crunchier and the stuff around it got all glumpy together. We didn’t like the smell of it by the end either. Our number was lower than the one that the teachers did. It was a bit lower but not a whole lot lower. It was better than the group that put extra sand on theirs. We were pretty happy with what we ended up with. We had a lot of fun doing this experiment and think that it would be fun to do it, but we can’t really think about what we might change if we did this experiment again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Writing a conclusion: Tips

  • You spent a lot of time collecting your observations – make sure to include your observations and use them to back up (support) any statements that you make. Example: The process we used to make our mummy was a good one, because we did not notice any signs of rotting, it stayed a nice green color and our mummy index was a greater percentage than the control’s index…...

  • Be sure to include your mummy index and the control index and compare them to each other. My mummy index was 10% higher than the control, that means my mummy lost a larger percentage of it’s weight.

  • Explain how you know your “recipe” (the particular variable you changed) did or did not work.

  • Explain changes that you would make.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Conclusion #1: The variable our group used was to remove all of the air from around the cucumber. We thought that it might make it more like the inside of a tomb, where there might not be a lot of air. The color of our cucumber changed from the original color, dark green, to a multi-color. It smelled a bit like burnt bread at the end of our experiment. The cucumber also got a lot more delicate, the texture got bumpy and fragile and the sand and natron stuck together. Our mummification index was 75 % and the mummification index of the control was 85%. Our mummy did not dry out as much as the control. We think that in order to make a good mummy there must be air and because we removed the air our mummy was not as good as the control. The group that added the extra natron had a mummification index of 89%, which showed that natron might be more important in mummification than the amount of air. Next time we might try to make more air move over the cucumber and see if that would help to make a better mummy with a higher mummification index.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Conclusion #2: The variable our group used was to remove all of the air from around the cucumber. We thought that this would be a cool thing to do and we wanted to do it. The color of our cucumber changed color from the beginning of the experiment to the end. The cucumber also became crunchier and the stuff around it got all glumpy together. We didn’t like the smell of it by the end either. Our number was lower than the one that the teachers did. It was a bit lower but not a whole lot lower. It was better than the group that put extra sand on theirs. We were pretty happy with what we ended up with. We had a lot of fun doing this experiment and think that it would be fun to do it, but we can’t really think about what we might change if we did this experiment again.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Comments (0)

You don't have permission to comment on this page.